Bismillah al-Rahman al-Raheem
So, I’m feeling like I have been in somewhat of a grump-slump lately…
There is a lot going on over here, between stressing about the visa, trying to deal with living in a barely functioning country, missing home, preparing for Ramadan, and all manner of other things. I feel like I have been a bit stressed and grumpy in real life, and I think a bit of that has seeped into my writing as well.
I for sure have been doing a lot more “pointing out society’s flaws” kind of writing, and I want to bring it back around to the more positive things in life.
So to kick that off, I bring you my first list in quite a while: five things I am grateful for!
- No matter what is going on in my life, I know I can always rely on Allah swt. And I cannot be grateful enough that He chose to guide me, of all the people. To this day I don’t know what I did to deserve a gift like Islam!
- My Family. I miss my mama and my sister especially, but I can’t thank all of my family enough for how supportive they have been of me since the beginning. And of course this includes my lovely husband; though he is several years older than me, he is the one who “keeps me young” with her perfectly complementary personality. If it wasn’t for his light-heartedness and love of fun, I would certainly let my seriousness and pessimism get the best of me.
- Sisters in Islam. Though I don’t often realise how much, I have been very lucky in my journey in Islam where good company is concerned. When I first converted it was two really good friends, one like a mentor and one just holding my hand along the way. I went through a period of solitude when I was having trouble integrating into the clique-y London community, but Allah swt blessed me with contact with such amazing sisters through my blog, and I really do wish I could give each and every one of them a big hug and tell her how much I love her for the sake of Allah!
- For those of you who don’t know, I am already around level five on the “crazy cat lady” ladder (the aforementioned hubby is a big ‘ol enabler, too). We had a cat that kept sneaking in through our window for snuggles and food, so naturally when she got pregnant she decided our house was now her house. They are loud and irritating and need a pet or a snack every three minutes (she literally only eats freshly cooked meat and a certain kind of cookie from the pastry place down the street), but having her and her three puffy little babies around the house sure brings a lot of cuteness and comedy into my days!
- Jilbab. This is a weird one to put on the list, where I could very well be putting things on here like health, provision, etc. But it is something that I am really just in love with lately. It has been a long hijab journey, and I really, truly feel like I have found the right thing for me. It is just such a relief after so many years to finally feel comfy, modest, and pretty all at the same time, that I really just can’t get over it!
So there you have it! And to start my new positive-outlook-get-outta-the-grumpy-rut writing kick off right, everyone who reads this has to comment with one thing they are grateful for—no exceptions! =D